Monday, July 30, 2018

Looking Back at 2013 and Looking Forward to 2014

Looking Back at 2013 and Looking Forward to 2014


As I have been busy writing my five-part series about the AYAR Student Movement (here, here, here, here, and here), I have not had the time to extend to you any seasonal greetings.

If I may be allowed to speak personally for a moment, I started this blog in June, about three months after I had been discharged from the ROK Army, out of sheer boredom.  I did not have a job at the time, I did not know there were other K-bloggers out there, and I just decided to write to stave off boredom and creeping depression as I received one rejection letter after another from the places that I applied to for jobs.  My inspiration to write this blog came from none other than The Korean, the blogger behind Ask a Korean.

(This is not to say that I compare myself to The Korean.  Firstly, some of his politics annoys me and secondly, he is a blogger of a far superior caliber than I am.)

When I initially started blogging, I had no idea that anyone was ever going to end up reading anything that I wrote.  I simply imagined that I was writing an open-to-all public diary of sorts that I thought was going to be forgotten in some haunted corner of the World Wide Web, never to be read, and soon to be forgotten.

In the six months since I have started blogging, however, I found a decent job, and I have also found a social life outside of my job as well as my blogger persona.  Yes, I do keep all three separate.  But more importantly, I have discovered, much to my surprise, that there are people who actually read my chicken scratches.

I do not pretend to be ignorant of the fact that, due to the content of this blog, I have rubbed people the wrong way; some more so than others.  In fact, most of the responses that I got to my blog posts, both here on this blog and elsewhere on the Internet, were vehement opposition rather than pleasant agreement.

But that does not matter.  What matters is that, though not always entirely pleasant, people, you, have taken the time to read what I had written, and took the time to write back and argue with me, and sometimes, to agree with me.  As someone who never imagined that anyone would ever read anything I have to write besides myself, it was a great joy.

So thank you, dear readers, for making 2013 a surprisingly fun year.  I hope that 2014 will bring better fortune to us all.

So, though belated, I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, and though still a bit early, a Happy New Year.

Sincerely,
John Lee
The Korean Foreigner


Source: http://blog.greenwichct.com/files/2011/12/1263286152_47.screensavers-seasons-greetings.jpg


go to link download